LADYDRINKS HOSTS "STARS OF STEM" FASHION SHOW HIGHLIGHTING SOUTH ASIAN WOMEN OF NOTE IN STEM FIELDS
Media Contacts: Joya Dass firstname.lastname@example.org; Trisha Sakhuja Sakhuja.email@example.com
Thursday, June 25th, the women's networking initiative LadyDrinks is hosted a fashion show, featuring South Asian women of note working in STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). The event will work to elevate and illuminate the jobs of the future and the women role models who currently work in them. The event will be held from 6-9pm at Rogue Space Chelsea in New York City.
The following women are walking in the show:
- Akanksha Thakur, Senior Consultant, Technologist, Ernst & Young
- Anamika Chanda, Principal Associate, Technologist, Capital One Financial
- Anuja Kochar Singh, Systems Engineering Manager, Cisco
- Debyani Chakravarty, Cancer Biologist, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Hetal Gor, Doctor, Women's Own Obygn LLC
- Jaya Banerjee Chatterjee, High School Chemistry Teacher, Woodbridge Township School District
- Jaya Laxmi Mohanan, Senior Research Chemist, BASF
- Jyoti Sharma, Systems Engineer, Alcatel-Lucent
- Karina Yager, Visiting Associate Professor, SUNY Stonybrook; Senior Research Scientists, NASA
- Kiran Gill, Founder and President, PARS Environmental Inc.
- Monica Patel, CEO, First in Math India
- Preetha Chakrabarti, Biology teacher turned IP Attorney (Science), Crowell & Moring
- Rima Lahiri, Senior Structural Engineer, WorleyParsons
- Shruti Kapoor, Founder and Economist, Sayfty
- Zalini Bhagroo, Quality Compliance Manager, Luitpold Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Ree Chawla, Founder, Lead Researcher & Director of Brain Wellness Programs
"The suggestion that I host an event around women in STEM has been made to me several times," says long time New York City TV Anchor and co founder of LadyDrinks Joya Dass. "The idea of producing a fashion show has also come up. As LadyDrinks enters year three, we are fusing the two ideas together. We couldn't be more excited about this amazing line-up of women walking on June 25th."
A portion of the proceeds from the event will go towards a scholarship for a young girl from the Boys & Girls Club of Newark, who aspires to study in a STEM field.
LadyDrinks board member and Chief Transformation Officer for BGCN Kavita Mehra cites statistics about children in the Newark School System. "With 8 million jobs in STEM fields expected to transpire by 2018, the disparity in access to STEM education, particularly for children who live in densely populated, underfunded urban areas is an issue we can address today. Only 57% of African-American students have access to STEM education, versus 81% of Asian-American or 71% Caucasian students." A new initiative is underway to ensure these kids aren't left behind. "BGCN is launching the Lachman Family STEM Center, a first-of-its-kind for an after-school program in Newark, where our members can learn robotics, coding, app creation, and water robotics and have a fighting chance at those jobs," says Mehra.
The evening will be a showcase of several enterprises helmed by female entrepreneurs. All the 'role models' walking the ramp will be wearing sarees by South Asian designer Mitan Ghosh, jewellery from Mi Amor by Mona Bangalore, shoes by Sandra Gault of True Gault, handbags by Alexandra Clancy. Hair and makeup by Teena Ramoodit of TenaNew York. Audio VIsual support and music by DJ Shilpa
This event is made possible because of generous sponsorships from Sonalika Ahuja, Beyond Media, Neetu Jain, Adira Medica, Dr. Deepak Awasthi of the Thibodaux Regional Medical Center, Sheriza Majid, Smita Singh of Womenpreneur Funding, Pulkesh and Monica Patel of First In Math India Pvt. Ltd, PriaVanda Chouhan of Desi Galli, Trisha Sakhuja of Brown Girl Magazine, Sonia Singh of Events Cherished, Arun Agarwal of Alok International, and Cisco Connected Women, which is partnering with LadyDrinks for the first time. Anuja Kochar Singh, Systems Engineering Manager at Cisco Systems is of South Asian origin and part of the Cisco Empowered Women's Network. She will be one of 15 women walking in the show June 25th.
For media inquiries, please contact Trisha Sakhuja <firstname.lastname@example.org>
LadyDrinks Purpose Statement
The Corporation shall be organized to be a Section 501 (c) (6) tax exempt organization under the Internal Revenue Code and is being formed as a trade or business association within the meaning of Section 404(a) of the Not-For-Profit Corporation Law. The Corporations is being formed for the purposes of (a) providing opportunities for development of professional women through exchange of ideas, mentoring and networking; (b) providing a forum to discuss common problems and issues facing professional women by hosting panels, inviting speakers and/or setting up workshops; and (c) enhancing, advancing and stimulating the professional growth of its members. Website www.lady-drinks.com